The Veteran RN
The profession of Nursing needs you! You became a nurse because you want to help people. You are passionate, compassionate, hard-working and caring. You work every day to improve the lives of others and assist in their healing. Nurses are held in high esteem and have topped Gallup’s Honesty and Ethics ranking every year (but one) since they were added to the list in 1999. The exception is 2001, when firefighters were included on the list on a one-time basis, shortly after the September 11 terrorist attacks. California’s nursing workforce continues to age and will ultimately retire leaving a bulk of less experienced nurses to care for a growing geriatric population without the guidance of the veteran registered nurse (RN) (California Institute for Nursing & Health Care [CINHC], 2010). Nursing needs you! So what’s missing? Why do you feel tired, fatigued, burnt out and feel like giving up on nursing? Isn’t it time you are compassionate with yourself? You are the Veteran, Seasoned Nurse, and nursing needs your presence. Nursing needs YOU! I can help! What is missing might be as simple as self-care, taking care of you first. You encourage and educate your patients; do you heed your own advice? Do you eat healthy, wholesome, fresh foods/water? Do you move every day, have daily quiet time? These are simple activities that take just a little planning. Picture a healthier, happier you. What is stopping you from taking this first step? You are the professional RN, you are unique. Together we will design an individual plan for your optimal health and happiness.
- Commit and Recommit to self
- Develop a realistic plan that reflects and supports your core strengths and values
- Are you where you want to be?
- If not, where do you want to be?
- How will you get there?
- Connect with supportive key figures; family, friends, co-workers
- Surround yourself with positive influences (refuse drama)
- Develop healthy self-care activities
- Healthy eating patterns
- Daily action activities
- Daily quiet time
- Reignite your love of nursing
- Be a catalyst and role model in nursing
- Learn the power of Intention
- Develop and trust your intuition
- Mentor future nurses
- Understand yourself and your unique place in nursing